A patient was left traumatised when his body caught on fire halfway through surgery - leaving his insides scorched.
Mark, 52, went to hospital for a routine abscess removal - but woke up to the news that a freak accident in theatre had sparked an horrific blaze.
A diathermy machine, used to stop bleeding, caused a swab to catch fire - before flames burnt their way through his exposed flesh, Mark explained.
It took over a year for Mark - not his real name - to recover from his dreadful injuries - and the emotional scarring it caused.
Between 2008 and 2018, 37 cases were ackn