Everything posted by Gethin
-
Increasingly complex digital healthcare systems: supporting safer care or contributing to patient harm?
Content ArticleWorking across frontline emergency care, patient safety and digital patient safety over the course of my 22-year career in the NHS has given me a unique perspective on how digital systems shape real clinical practice. As a paramedic now working as a Clinical Safety Officer within NHS Wales, I’ve seen first‑hand how digital tools can support safer care—but also how they can contribute to patient harm when things don’t work as intended. In this blog, I reflect on the challenges of identifying issues and, more importantly, assessing patient harm in a digital context. These thoughts aren’t theoretical, they come from day‑to‑day reality: the calls, the investigations, the conversations and the moments where something in the digital healthcare system doesn’t work the way it should—and a patient feels the impact. I’m sharing these thoughts to stimulate conversation, hopefully build shared understanding and help strengthen our collective approach to digital patient safety across the UK.
-
Patient Safety Incident Investigation (PSII) patient information leaflet
Fbb4798dc3a9cbdf6e2dac9efc6ac0f2Thank you for sharing Matt, and my initial thoughts are this is a great and much needed document. I particularly like the format of page 2. I am going to share the leaflet with colleagues in Wales and discuss how we can adapt to meet the requirements of our regulations etc. I shall keep you updated on their feedback! Many thanks Gethin
- National Policy on Patient Safety Incident Reporting and Management (NHS Wales, May 2023)
-
Duty of Candour for Wales
Content ArticleThe Duty of Candour for Wales statutory guidance.
-
PSIRF Training
Community Postthanks @Chris Elston i look forward to your next update
-
PSIRF Training
Community Post@HelenH yes would be very keen to be involved with this work please
-
PSIRF Training
Community Post@Callum Brown I would be keen to discuss this further as living and working in a devolved nation myself and colleagues dont have the opportunity to undertake HSIB led training, and i also feel there is a need for a more joined up level of training across the UK and this could be a great opportunity to address both elements? Gethin
-
Investigation of incidents relating to digital health care.
Community PostMorning Keith, many thanks for your response it has certainly helped me focus some of my thoughts, and yes as I progress my workstream I would certainly value the opportunity to discuss further. Kind regards Gethin
-
Investigation of incidents relating to digital health care.
Community PostI am currently working to develop a new process for the investigation of incidents related to digital healthcare, something which clearly sits outside of the usual framework or process of investigating traditional patient safety incidents. I would be grateful for opportunities to discuss and share experiences and ideas with others. If you have already investigated these sort of incidents what sort of approach did you utilise and have you reviewed it post event in respect of effectiveness. @Keith Bates Clive has suggested it would be beneficial for us to discuss?
-
NHS Wales: Framework for the joint investigation of patient safety Serious Incidents (SIs) related to NWIS delivered or supported services
Content ArticleThis document defines the investigation framework in the event of a patient safety Serous Incident (SI) related to NHS Wales Informatics Service (NWIS) delivered or supported services, which affects one or more health body in Wales.