Everything posted by Clive Flashman
-
A patient's tales of woe
Content ArticleThis blog tells the story of a patient, a relation of Patient Safety Learning's Chief Digital Officer. It explains how the patient was failed by the system, seemingly a system designed to fail when its users need it most. Some of the issues described here are technology-based in nature, but the concepts are easy to grasp. A phrase that another person commented when hearing about this story was "when common sense and compassion are lost, there is no hope left for the NHS". I think we have now entered that territory (sadly). Do feel free to comment or add your own stories below....
-
Better use of data for medication safety in hospitals
Community PostMedication errors are an incredibly important area within the patient safety domain and I'm glad to see that companies like Triscribe are making data more visible within existing (ePMA) systems to help to improve this situation. I wonder if any of the following people might also have thoughts on this: @Anna Bond, @Suzanne Bell, @Kirsten Smith, @Kay Fenwick, @Andrea Gill, @Janet Thomas, @NicStk, @Fiona M, @Jane Starr, @A Dickinson, @Charlotteamy160, @Rachel Bulloch, @Namrita, @Kat, @Angela Carrington, @Sophie O'Dolan, @Sharon, @Alison Smith, @Phaeds, @Seetal Jheeta Puaar, @Dakota
- 2 replies
-
1
-
- AI
- Allergies
- Antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
- Benchmarking
-
Tagged with:
- AI
- Allergies
- Antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
- Benchmarking
- Climate change
- Dashboard
- Decision making
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Digital health
- Falls
- Genomics
- Healthcare
- Hospital ward
- ICB/ICS/ICP
- Improved productivity
- Indicators
- Information processing
- Information sharing
- Innovation
- Interoperability
- Knowledge issue
- Medication - related
- Meta analysis
- Non-compliance
- NRLS
- Omissions
- Parkinsons disease
- Patient identification
- Patient safety strategy
- Pharmacist
- Policies
- Policies / Protocols / Procedures
- protocols and procedures
- Quality improvement
- Risk management
- Safety assessment
- Safety behaviour
- Safety management
- Staff engagement
- Substance / Drug abuse
- Task analysis
- Training
- Urinary tract infections
- User centred design
- Workforce management
- Workload analysis
- Expert patients and repeat medications
-
Expert patients and repeat medications
Community PostA response by Lisa Rickers, a nurse specialist: "Yes the one size fits all approach is rarely effective. It would be great to personalise this with a shared agreement between you and your GP with review dates and how you can collect a repeat prescriptions between each review."
- Expert patients and repeat medications
- Expert patients and repeat medications
-
Expert patients and repeat medications
Community PostA response by Jono Broad, digital QI lead for Primary Care at NHS England: "I fully understand the situation and would agree with you with one caveat I would want this checked at an annual review and if agreed I would then want the patient to be able to self prescribe from a list of medication that is approved so we would not then have to use this important resource at all within an agreed framework. One day we will be able to manage our own care better."
-
Expert patients and repeat medications
Community PostA response by Loy Lobo, past president of the Digital Health Section of the Royal Society of Medicine: "This is what happens when tech is used to make healthcare more "efficient" and it ends up making the relationship between the doctor and patient transactional. If the GP really knew you, either as a person as they used to, or from your data as they ought to now, maybe this would not happen."
-
Expert patients and repeat medications
Community PostA response by Ayelet Baron, futurologist and author: "Imagine a future where the doctor is no longer at the center of sickcare ... it's coming. And we need you fully breathing!" A response to her by Dr Gyles Morrison, a clinical UX expert: "Yep, this is the sort of products I work on. We need to shift the power from clinicians to patients." A further response by Ayelet Baron: "Gyles, only when we each step into our power. And wouldn't it be amazing when we no longer call people patients once they step into the system. One of the conscious leaders in my first book shares a story of how dehumanizing it is when we visit a doctor and put on a gown. We are immediately seen as a patient and we can be perfectly healthy. We need healthy language to support healthy people and not just focus on disease. Pioneers in health and wellness who are focusing on our holistic four bodies are putting the human in the center. I've experienced some incredible new systems that are preventive. But it takes us, like Clive, to see the opportunity in everything and imagine a healthy reality that supports the vast majority of us, not the few. It's insane that in the US the first question you are asked when contacting the system is what's your insurance and what pharmacy are you at. For those of us who take no pharmaceuticals, it's quite bizarre."
-
Expert patients and repeat medications
Community PostA response by Vijay Luthra, from Capita Healthcare: "Spot on Clive. Globally, clinicians and administrators in healthcare systems need to take account of patient literacy and digital inclusion. There are some patients who are perfectly capable of managing significant aspects of their own care and with the burden of chronic disease increasing, these people should be empowered and equipped to do so and thereby relieve some of the burden on clinicians and health ecosystems."
-
Expert patients and repeat medications
Community PostA response by Hisham Haq, co-founder at SLOSH AI Solutions: "Hey Clive, the vast majority are not as qued on. On a real basis had someone use their inhaler like a perfume! What will help is when your GP knows you and even then you need to see the people to make sure they come in for their review. Everyone can learn all the time and things change." I responded: "I guess the trust is a two way street, and continuation of care with the same GP is an element of that, and increasingly rare these days." Hisham responded: "Clive, true and not valued or appreciated where it is delivered. Hence a dying art."
-
Expert patients and repeat medications
Community PostA response from Jonathan Gregory, an Oncologist: "Hi Clive, I couldn't agree more. It sounds like my asthma is very similar to yours. I have an identical interaction with the GP when I need a repeat prescription every 2 years or so, despite being a hospital clinician. There is also the issue of more regular repeat prescriptions, I appreciate there is a need for some medication review - side effect checks, are they still needed etc, but there are long term patients who are also 'experts' who have to chase about for repeat prescriptions every 4-8 weeks for years on end and a GP has to sign them off (probably not really considering the issue) - do we really want to use GP's for such low value tasks that also do not deliver value for patients?"
- Expert patients and repeat medications
-
Expert patients and repeat medications
Community PostA response from @HelenH, CEO of Patient Safety Learning: "I have the same issue. Also I have monthly repeat medications for another long term condition, but have rather weirdly started getting monthly asthma inhalers - prevention and treatment. More than I need. I’ll have to go back and get them to change that. Not a very flexible or customer responsive system."
-
Expert patients and repeat medications
Community PostIt's rare that I post personal information of any kind on a website such as this, but this really irked me so felt it was worth sharing. Context: I've been an Asthma sufferer since the age of 3 years old. I know exactly how to manage my condition having had it for over 50 years, and have always used a blue ventolin inhaler as and when necessary (perhaps once every 2-3 months). I have not had any serious issues with my Asthma for at least 20 years, and then only in Hayfever season. Issue: I only renew my inhaler when it expires, every 2 years or so. Therefore it is not listed on my repeat medications list. My most recent one had just run out, so I needed a replacement. Action: I emailed the GP's website as I knew I was meant to, and received an automated email back saying that I would receive a response within 5 working days. So far so good. Response: I received another email response 2 days later (pretty good!) saying that the GP would have to call me to run through why I needed a new inhaler. GP call: The GP rang on the set day and within the allocated time window and started asking me how often I used the inhaler, for what, and did I really need that or the preventative one (which I've had before). At the end of our 10 minute call, she agreed that I just needed a replacement blue ventolin inhaler, as I had asked for in the first place. What a waste of the GP's time, and mine!! It made me think that it would be a helpful thing if certain patients with decades of experience in managing their condition(s) in a very stable way could be classed as 'expert patients' on their GP record. This could save a huge amount of wasted time on both sides!! This blog post first appeared on Linkedin on 30 October 2022. I will post some of the responses to it below for added insight.
-
Are you currently working on an inpatient mental health ward in the UK?
Community Post@Paul Butler McLees - the research is being sponsored by OUH and the lead researcher has an OUH email, so it appears valid to us despite the fact that OUH is not a MH trust.
-
Are you currently working on an inpatient mental health ward in the UK?
Community Post@Emma Plumb, @annmariemalley, @Paul Butler McLees, @Helen Roberts, @Dr Judith Skargon, @Dr Shahana Hussain, @Ntalumbwa
-
A loophole in resilience
Community PostI was just listening to a podcast interview between Dr Rangan Chatterjee and Matthew McConaughey (In the series 'Feel better, live more'). Matthew M. mentioned that he came from a highly resilient family. If someone fell over, his mother would tell them to get right back up straight away and carry on. He added that he thought that while this resilience was generally a good thing, there should be (what he called) a 'loophole' in it so that there was time to learn why they have fallen over to begin with. Was there a crack in the pavement that needed to be avoided? That way, it wouldn't happen again in the future. This made me think about whether there really was a conflict between resilience in organisations and the need to learn from failure. What do you think??
-
Managing Risk, Keeping People Safe – Working with Families in Mental Health
Event
until
Making Families Count has developed a new Webinar, based on extensive experience of it's members, to explore how mental health professionals can work effectively with families when they raise safety concerns about their relatives. This webinar focusses on effective risk management in the community and how healthcare professionals can work better with families when they raise safety concerns about their relatives. This webinar explores what happens when critical information is absent from treatment plans and how to utilise families effectively as part of the care team. It will also address issues of how to work well and effectively with families after a serious incident or mental health homicide. Use this link to find out who is speaking and to book your place for this online event: https://www.makingfamiliescount.org.uk/what-we-do/webinars/#managing-risk -
Interesting to consider how much data there is out there in healthcare
Community PostI think that sounds about right, especially if you factor in social media videos as well. I do really worry about people's personal information management capabilities with this much data (and information governance too). There is definitely a gap in the market for smart tech to help people manage all of their personal digital assets.
-
Patient Safety 2021: Driving Quality and Improvement in Care
Event
until
An online event 4,356,277 reports of patient safety incidents were reported between November 2018 and October 2019. These incidents were linked to more than 4,600 deaths. The cost of harm for clinical negligence claims from incidents in 2019/20 expected to cost the NHS £8.3 billion. Improving patient safety could save almost 1,000 extra lives and £100 million in care costs each year from 2023/24. There is also potential to reduce claims provision by around £750 million per year by 2025. In July 2019, the NHS published its Patient Safety Strategy which seeks to continuously improve patient safety over the next five to ten years. This event draws upon a number of the key themes of the Patient Safety Strategy, reviews its progress one year and reflects on the impact of Covid-19 on patient safety initiatives. It will highlight good practice in developing a proactive approach to identifying risks to safe care while also including systems, risks, human factors and organisational culture. Hear the latest policy updates and practical case studies featuring innovative patient safety interventions across primary and secondary care to save lives and protect patients. Speakers include: Robert Waterson, Senior Lecturer, Nursing, University of East London Sue Tranka, Deputy Chief Nursing Officer for Patient Safety and Innovation, NHS England and NHS Improvement Dr Navina Evans, Chief Executive, Health Education England Cassandra Cameron, Head of Policy and Strategy, Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch CQC representative NHS Resolution representative Dr Subhro Banerjee, Deputy Medical Director, Consultant Emergency Medicine, Croydon Health Services NHS Trust Jim Briggs, Director of the Centre for Healthcare Modelling and Informatics (CHMI), University of Portsmouth David Watson, Clinical Lead Advanced Practice UHM, NHS Lanarkshire Anthony Avery, Professor of Primary Health Care, Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences, University of Nottingham Full details and registration here There is a charge for all registrants -
The top 10 dangers of digital health – a patient’s perspective
Content ArticleIn his newsletter today (The Top 10 Dangers of Digital Health), the medical futurist, Bertalan Meskó, raises some very topical questions about the dangers of digital health. As a huge advocate of the benefits of digital health, I am aware of most of these but tend to downplay the negative aspects as I generally believe that in this domain the good outweighs the bad. However, as I was reading his article, I realised that it was written very much from the perspective of a clinician and, to some extent, a healthcare organisation too. The patient perspective was included but not from a patient safety angle. Many of the issues that he raises do have significant patient safety issues associated with them which I’d like to share in this blog.
-
NICE pain guidance - we want to hear your thoughts
Community Post@MikeS @Dianne @RHarrison
-
Patient Safety Learning: How do we take global action for patient safety? (15 October 2020)
Content Article CommentHi @Derek Malyon sorry that you didn't get more traction from the AHSN, it's a tricky time at the moment but there is no excuse for being unresponsive like that. If I can think of another 'way in' I'll let you know. Kind regards, Clive
-
Patient Safety Learning: How do we take global action for patient safety? (15 October 2020)
Content Article CommentFOR SW AHSN, contact xxx@xxxx (07496 xxxxxx)