This report is the product of a review by Baroness Doreen Lawrence, commissioned by the Labour Party, into the disproportionate impact of Covid-19 on Black, Asian and minority ethnic communities.
In her introduction to the report, Baroness Lawrence says:
"Black, Asian and minority ethnic people have been overexposed, under protected, stigmatised and overlooked during this pandemic – and this has been generations in the making. The impact of Covid is not random, but foreseeable and inevitable – the consequence of decades of structural injustice, inequality and discrimination that blights our society. We are in the middle of an avoidable crisis. And this report is a rallying cry to break that clear and tragic pattern."
The report calls for urgent action and includes several recommendations:
- Recommendation 1: The Government must go further and set out an urgent plan for tackling the disproportionate impact of Covid on ethnic minorities this winter
- Recommendation 2: A national strategy to tackle health inequalities
- Recommendation 3: Suspend ‘no recourse to public funds’ rule during the pandemic and initiate a review
- Recommendation 4: Ensure Covid-19 cases from the workplace are properly recorded
- Recommendation 5: Strengthen Covid-19 risk assessments to ensure consistency and to give workers more confidence
- Recommendation 6: Improve access to PPE in all high-risk workplaces
- Recommendation 7: Give targeted support to people who are struggling to self-isolate at home
- Recommendation 8: Ensure protection and an end to discrimination for renters
- Recommendation 9: Raise the local housing allowance and address the root causes of homelessness
- Recommendation 10: Urgently conduct equality impact assessments on the Government’s support schemes to make sure Black, Asian and minority ethnic people are able to access the support they need
- Recommendation 11: Develop and implement a clear plan to prevent the stigmatisation of communities during Covid-19
- Recommendation 12: Urgently legislate to tackle online harms
- Recommendation 13: Ensure everyone can access Covid-19 communication
- Recommendation 14: Collect and publish better ethnicity data
- Recommendation 15: Implement a race equality strategy
- Recommendation 16: Ensure all policies and programmes help tackle structural inequality
- Recommendation 17: Introduce mandatory ethnicity pay gap reporting
- Recommendation 18: End the ‘hostile environment’
- Recommendation 19: Reform the curriculum to fight the root causes of racism
- Recommendation 20: Take action to close the attainment gap.
Follow the link below to read the full report and more detailed version of the recommendations.