Painful hysteroscopy

I had persistent post menopausal bleeding and have had two hysteroscopies, one with anaesthetic which was without problems and one without. The latter was nothing short of brutal. The surgeon scraped cells but then said the sample wasn’t sufficient so she scraped higher up. I felt as if I had been impaled on a spear that had been thrust up to my chest. The pain was excruciating and I literally crashed out on the table. When I came to, my blood pressure was through the roof and I had to wait several hours till I was out of danger enough for my daughter to take me home. I had pain in my sternum for a week afterwards, not to mention the shock. I was so traumatised by this that the next time I had bleeding I refused to go to the doctor as he said they would need to do the procedure again. The bleeding was very heavy and in desperation I had acupuncture because a friend recommended it. I felt the bleeding stop at the first session. I had another session a week later and have not had bleeding since. That was around four years ago. I really wish I had complained but we tend not to and it seems somehow ungrateful. Personally I believe that operation should never be done without anaesthetic. Also the NHS does nothing about the bleeding, they are merely trying to establish whether it’s a symptom of uterine cancer. In all honesty, the total cost of the acupuncture was £120. I can’t imagine how much more expensive it is to do a hysteroscopy. I cannot face the thought of ever putting myself in that kind of position again. I also cannot forget the experience of that pain which was much much worse than childbirth. 

0 reactions so far
I had an out patient Hysteroscopy/biopsy attempt on 5th December 2020. I recieved the leaflet about the procedure and recommendation of over the counter pain relief prior to arriving. I was hesitant and researched best practice guidance. There was a sense that pain was downplayed in the information so I focused on safe practice and risks beforehand.

The questions I raised with the consultant were based on size and type of scope in addition to type of saline used.  My potential pain was not factored in at all nor any suggestion of how I might feel. During the procedure the consultant commented that ' we have such good ladies this morning' indicating I was compliant with this barbaric procedure due to my use of mediation and relaxation techniques. This comment is shockingly inappropriate and disregards and minimises the extent of pain that women are experiencing. I yelled out in pain at the biopsy attempt and shorty afterwards the consultant ended the procedure.  
As she left the room, she asked me to get dressed and see her next door. I was in tears. The nurse started it was best to stop as my womb could risk being perforated. I was then advised that I would receive an appointment to have the procedure under a GA. I was in shock, I went home and recognised I was experiencing PTSD reactions such as flashbacks, distress and slept most of the day and the following one. I also experienced for 10 days.

When I was admitted for the procedure under general anaesthesia, the very same consultant was involved. I had an extremely dismissive response to my previous experience and fears and she did nothing to alleviate my concerns. In fact she frightend me with potential risks and I felt pressured to go ahead. 
Shortly after I decided against the procedure under her care. 
This is my experience of poor treatment and has created a lack of trust and confidence in the care recieved which adds to the anxiety I am feeling about my health and I remain confused about my care going forwards.

0 reactions so far