This report from NHS England on the National Maternity Review sets out a vision for the planning, design and safe delivery of maternity services; how women, babies and families will be able to get the type of care they want; and how staff will be supported to deliver such care.
- Personalised care centred on the woman, her baby and her family based around their needs and their decisions where they have genuine choice informed by unbiased information.
- Continuity of carer, to ensure safe care based on a relationship of mutual trust and respect in line with the woman’s decisions.
- Safer care, with professionals working together across boundaries to ensure rapid referral, and access to the right care in the right place; leadership for a safety culture within and across organisations; and investigation, honesty and learning when things go wrong.
- Better postnatal and perinatal mental health care, to address the historic underfunding and provision in these two vital areas, which can have a significant impact on the life chances and wellbeing of the woman, baby and family.
- Multi-professional working, breaking down barriers between midwives, obstetricians and other professionals to deliver safe and personalised care for women and their babies.
- Working across boundaries to provide and commission maternity services to support personalisation, safety and choice, with access to specialist care whenever needed.
- A payment system that fairly and adequately compensates providers for delivering high quality care to all woman, whilst supporting commissioners to commission for personalisation, safety and choice.
Better Births: Improving outcomes of maternity services in England – A Five Year Forward View for maternity care (updated 22 August 2017) https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/national-maternity-review-report.pdf
0 reactions so far
There are no comments to display.
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now