This guideline from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) covers preventing and controlling healthcare-associated infections in children, young people and adults in primary and community care settings. It provides a blueprint for the infection prevention and control precautions that should be applied by everyone involved in delivering NHS care and treatment.
This guideline includes recommendations on:
- hand decontamination
- use of personal protective equipment
- safe use and disposal of sharps
- waste disposal
- long-term urinary catheters
- enteral feeding
- vascular access devices.
Who is it for?
- commissioners and providers
- healthcare professionals working in primary and community care settings, including ambulance services, schools and prisons
- children, young people and adults receiving healthcare for which standard infection-control precautions apply in primary and community care, and their families and carers.