This National Patient Safety Alert has been issued by the NHS England National Patient Safety Team, co-badged by the Association of Anaesthetists, Royal College of Anaesthetists and the Safe Anaesthesia Liaison Group, instructing all relevant NHS funded providers to transition to NRFit™ connectors for all intrathecal and epidural procedures, and delivery of regional blocks.
Transition should be completed by 31 January 2025.
1. Prioritise the establishment of a short-life working group (SLWG) to scope out and coordinate the transition to NRFit™ across all relevant clinical specialties:
- a. Identify a clinical lead to chair the group.
- b. Ensure local procurement leads are included to identify all devices that need to transition to NRFit™.
- c. Plan and risk assess the most appropriate and safe process for transition and to monitor implementation.
2. To ensure comprehensive transition from Luer to NRFit™ devices is managed and supply chain continuity maintained, local procurement leads must:
- a. Engage with NHS Supply Chain to agree a timeline for transition to NRFit™.
- b. Identity all device locations and order codes and revise stock management systems.
3. After completion of Action 2, the SLWG will:
- a. Clearly communicate the agreed timeline and implementation plan to all relevant clinical staff.
- b. Ensure all relevant policies, procedures and educational and training resources for intrathecal, epidural and regional block procedures are updated with reference to use of NRFit™ devices and are fully accessible.