Physician's associates (PAs): patient perspectives wanted

Physician associates are healthcare professionals who work as part of a multidisciplinary team with supervision from a named senior doctor, providing care to patients in primary, secondary and community care environments.

First introduced in 2003, PAs have become increasingly talked about in healthcare and in the media, with many discussions focused on the safety of the current approach. 

We want to hear from patients and carers. 

• Have you, or someone you care for, got an experience of being seen by a PA that you would like to share?
  • Do you feel more information about the PA role would be useful for patients?
  • Do you have any other comments, concerns or perspectives you would like to add?

Please comment below (you'll need to sign up first, for free) or contact the team at content@pslhub.org

0 reactions so far

I mainly object to the name;  Physician Associate infers that the person is a physician.  It should be Physician's Associate or Physician's Assistant.  Many patients have told me they think PAs are junior doctors, training to be GPs

I have also heard of PAs overstepping the work they are legally qualified & allowed to do and speaking as if they are doctors.  They are not.  They are helpers.   They earn a very good salary. (£40,000+) I would never see one if I needed a doctor.

0 reactions so far