During the last 4 years, three infants have presented with finger-tip injuries secondary to entrapment in woollen/synthetic mittens. The accident happened at home in one case but the other two occurred in different neonatal units. Spontaneous amputation of the terminal phalanx of the index finger occurred in two patients but in the other there was complete healing. This problem may be avoided by restricting the use of mittens, by changing their design, and by a greater awareness of this hazard.
Related reading on the hub:
- Knitted items – potential for harm to babies? (2018)
- Notes from a Patient Safety Education Network discussion on a similar incident. (This is a group for UK hub members involved in patient safety education/training in their organisations and members of the hub can join by emailing support@PSLhub.org.)