In this short film, National Specialty Advisor for Diabetes, Partha Kar shares 4 steps for improving the safety of diabetic inpatients.
Highlighting practical resources along the way, Partha focuses on the following key areas to help colleagues understand how they can improve outcomes locally:
- Identifying support needs quickly
- Self-management policy
- Peri-operative safety policy
- Free insulin safety training.
Links to all of the resources mentioned in the film can be found at the bottom of this page.
Partha Kar: National Specialty Advisor for Diabetes
- Getting it Right First Time: Diabetes
- Getting it Right First Time: Best Practice Library
- National Diabetes In-patient Audit - Harms
- E-Learning Insulin Safety module
- Guideline for Perioperative Care for People with Diabetes Mellitus Undergoing Elective and Emergency Surgery (CPOC)
- Diabetes inpatient and hospital care (Diabetes UK)
- Perioperative Diabetes: High and Lows (NCEPOD)
Share your insights
Are you a healthcare professional working to improve diabetes care? What have been the challenges and successes? Can you share any learning or practical resources that might help others?
Or perhaps you're a patient who can help others understand how best to support you while in hospital? What are your experiences of diabetes care? What has worked well, and made you feel safe? Are there certain barriers you've faced in receiving the right support?
Please sign up to the hub (it's free and easy to do) and comment below this article to share your insights. You can also contact us at email@example.com