The Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch (HSIB) conducts independent investigations into patient safety concerns in NHS-funded care across England. Formed in April 2017, they are funded by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) and hosted by NHS Improvement , but operate independently.
Overview in numbers (2018/19)
- 12 national investigations launched.
- 440 maternity referrals received.
- 100 safety awareness notifications submitted for national investigations.
- 127 investigators trained.
- 174 members of staff recruited.