The Safer Nursing Care Tool has been developed by the Shelford Group to help NHS hospital staff measure patient acuity and/or dependency to inform evidence-based decision making on staffing and workforce. The tool, when allied to Nurse Sensitive Indicators (NSIs), offers nurses a reliable method against which to deliver evidence-based workforce plans to support existing services or to develop new services.
The Shelford Group is an organisation comprising Chief Executives of 10 of the leading NHS multi-specialty academic healthcare organisations in England. The Chief Nurses of each of these NHS Trusts belong to a subgroup of the organisation and they meet every two months to share best-practice, benchmark and work towards improving standards in nursing.
What will I learn?
This booklet offers brief guidance for people using the tool in practice. It includes:
- A brief overview of the tool
- How acuity and/or dependency are measured
- How to ensure that accurate data are collected
- What Nurse Sensitive Indicators will be allied to acuity and/or dependency measurement
- How to use nursing multipliers to support professional judgement
- What can be learned from the pilot sites and Frequently Asked Questions
- How to get help or support if needed.