Reducing the burden of harm and instilling better practice requires both systems thinking and committed local ownership. Comparisons of health systems across the world can help visualise best practice, opportunities for learning and potential for diffusion of innovations. Most importantly, depicting the global state of patient safety showcases exemplar safety systems and facilitates exploration of their characteristics and enablers.
This report seeks to stimulate ambitious visions and bold action to significantly reduce harm and improve the lives of millions of patients and their families.
Global burden of unsafe care
- The clinical burden of unsafe care
- The economic burden of unsafe care
- The broader impact of unsafe care
- Reducing the burden.
How are countries around the world doing?
- The importance of measurement and comparisons
- International variation in safety and quality
- Opportunities for learning.
- Healthcare means safe care
- Threats and opportunities from innovation
- Ambitious capacity building.