This study describes how a significant proportion of healthcare resources has been redirected to help patients ill from COIVD-19. Results from statistical analysis revealed more than 1.5 million operations were cancelled due to the pandemic and it is believed the number of cancelled operations may continue to increase by 2.4 million.
- A population-based epidemiological study
- Hospital Episode Statistics for Admitted Patient Care and Patient Episode Database for Wales were used
- Data on NHS funded-treatment in the private sector was also captured
- Redirection of resources to COVID-19 efforts has led to operation cancellations
- Surgical activity was reduced by 33.6 % in 2020
- More than 1.5 million operations were cancelled
- Data suggests waiting lists for surgery is growing