Jump to content

Strep A: Parents say son misdiagnosed before death


The family of a boy who died of an invasive form of strep A have said they sought medical help three times before he was admitted to hospital.

Jax Albert Jefferys, who attended Morelands Primary School in Waterlooville, Hampshire, died on 1 December, aged five.

His family said they were initially told he had flu.

Since September, UK Health Security Agency figures show 15 UK children have died after invasive strep A infections.

Paying tribute to their "darling son", Jax's family said they had sought medical advice on three occasions during the four days leading up to his death and were told that he was suffering with influenza A.

"We then followed the recommended course of action: to administer a proprietary paracetamol-based medication in the prescribed dosage," they said in a statement.

However, they said on the fourth day Jax's condition "deteriorated so much" they "rushed him to hospital" and he later died.

"Only after his death was it confirmed that the cause was [strep A]," the family said.

Read full story

Source: BBC News, 14 December 2022

0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.