Skip to content

Woody

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Woody

  1. Community Post
    A few months ago I had a hospital appointment as a follow-up from Ultrasound investigation for fibroids. On this visit the ultrasound result was discussed and then I was asked to lay on the couch for an examination, a female doctor and either 1 or 2 nurses in attendance (I can't remember how many as I was so scared by the situation I was suddenly in. The doctor said 'we need a quick look at the fibroid so we need to insert a camera/scope past your cervix to get a closer look' What happened next is still traumatising me a few months on, I was on the couch, and they started to try to get the camera/scope in through my cervix. The pain was worse than anything I have ever felt, I was in agony. The first attempt failed so they tried again causing even more pain & distress. A third attempt followed and the doctor mentioned I had a very strong cervix which was fighting her and not letting her get through. The pain was worse with every attempt and my anxiety was through the roof. I begged them to stop as I couldn't take any more pain. They did stop and left me to get dressed...it was only after they had done that the doctor said 'Have you never had children?' I was left traumatised, shaking and felt sick with the pain and I bled for a few days afterwards. I now have extreme anxiety and am getting flashbacks. I have to attend another hospital in a few weeks time for a hysteroscopy, on researching what was likely to be done I realised that the procedure was almost identical to the one at the other hospital. I explained to my new consultant about what had happened to me and how fearful I am. He seems very good over the phone and has assured I can have gas & air, pain relief to be taken prior to the procedure and will use the smallest scope he can and at any time I can't cope he will stop if I ask. I hope he will be as good as his word, On the phone appointment he did not sound too impressed by my earlier experience. My fear & anxiety is off the scale. I have to have this done as they are checking in case it's anything more serious than a large fibroid because of my symptoms so I know it makes sense - I'm just terrified after what happened at the other place, I can't get it out of my mind. Am I correct in thinking that the first hospital did indeed spring a hysteroscopy on me? I ask as I had no warning, no pain relief prior to the appointment, no anaesthetic gel during the procedure and I was left feeling totally violated.
Registered address: Patient Safety Learning, China Works SB203, 100 Black Prince Road Vauxhall, London, SE1 7SJ

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.