For some time now I've been looking to find out more about mental health services in Trieste, Italy. Then I met Vincenzo Passante Spaccapietra, co-host of the Place of Safety? podcast series. This has enabled me to learn more about the closure of the mental institutions in Trieste, Italy, and the work of Franco Basaglia.
I was keen to find out what really took place, what this really means in practice and how we can adopt this model in the UK. We were delighted to have become involved and to have recorded a couple of podcasts.
I recommend this resource to everyone interested in safe, compassionate, patient led mental health care.
"Many voices are not heard in British mental health care (and beyond), significant flaws are overlooked. If you are not satisfied with the status quo or just curious, follow us!"
Here's a sample of some of the podcasts:
- Episode 33 - Basaglia's International Legacy: From Asylum to Community... review
- Episode 8 - Lived experience in Trieste, a mental health system without psychiatric hospitals, with Marilena and Arturo
- Episode 25 - Clinical Psychology vs Psychotherapy in Italy and the UK
- Episode 18 - The Trieste model cannot be exported to the UK because... let's unpack the main objections
- Episode 27 - Substance dependency, colonialism and sexism with Dr Sonia Soans (@PSYfem)
- Episode 26 - From the horse's mouth...patient & nurse teaching together as equals
Listen to all the podcasts from link below.