This National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death (NCEPOD) report highlights the results of a study into quality of care received by people aged 0-24 receiving long-term ventilation (LTV). It aimed to identify remediable factors in the care provided to children and young people who were receiving, or had received, LTV.
- Service planning and commissioning of integrated care Formalisation of the service planning and commissioning of LTV services through an integrated network of care providers is required. The aim would be to reduce variability in access to areas such as therapy services in and out of hospital, facilitate discharge, enable respite care and simplify how ventilator equipment is purchased and serviced.
- Multidisciplinary care Improved access to an appropriate multidisciplinary care team is needed to ensure people on LTV and their parent carers can be supported in the community as well as during an admission to hospital.
- Emergency healthcare plans Templates for Emergency Healthcare Plans should be developed and standardised for people receiving LTV. They should provide information about what to do and who to contact in an emergency situation. They should form part of hand-held records that are fully accessible to the person receiving LTV, parent carers and the health and social care teams.
- Discharge planning Active discharge planning should start at the point of an admission and include all relevant members of the integrated care network to enable a prompt and safe discharge home or to other community services. The discharge plan should reflect any changes in respiratory care.
- Transition from child to adult services Transition planning should minimise disruption and prepare for any necessary changes that will occur. Effective leadership for planning transition of care should be encouraged to ensure children access adult LTV services easily. There should be no gap in the provision of LTV care.
NCEPOD report - Long term ventilation: Balancing the pressures (13 February 2020) https://www.ncepod.org.uk/2020ltv.html
0 reactions so far
There are no comments to display.
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now