Reducing errors in diagnosis is the next big challenge for patient safety. This article highlights ways in which healthcare organisations can pursue learning and exploration of diagnostic excellence (LEDE). Building on current evidence and their recent experiences in developing such a learning organisation at Geisinger in Pennsylvania, the authors propose a 5-point action plan and corresponding policy levers to support the development of LEDE organisations.
Five point action plan to develop a learning and exploration of diagnostic excellence (LEDE) organisation
- Implement a virtual hub to coordinate organisational activities for improving diagnosis
- Participate in novel scientific initiatives to generate and translate evidence
- Avoid the “tyranny of metrics”14 by focusing on measurement for improvement
- Engage clinicians in improving diagnosis activities and frame missed opportunities as learning opportunities
- Develop an accountable culture of engaging and learning from patients
Developing health care organizations that pursue learning and exploration of diagnostic excellence: An action plan (August 2020) https://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/fulltext/2020/08000/developing_health_care_organizations_that_pursue.34.aspx
0 reactions so far
There are no comments to display.
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now