The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) prosecutes criminal cases that have been investigated by the police and other investigative organisations in England and Wales. The CPS is independent and make their decisions independently of the police and government.
This web page includes information on:
- What is a 'death in custody'?
- Death following contact with the Police
- Handling of death in custody cases
- Who investigates deaths in custody?
- Who advises on charge and prosecutes death in custody cases?
- Self-defence and Reasonable Force
- CPS contact with families
- The Coroner
- The Inquest.