Choosing Wisely UK is part of a global initiative aimed at improving conversations between patients and their doctors and nurses.
By having discussions that are informed by the doctor, but take into account what’s important to the patient too, both sides can be supported to make better decisions about care. Often, this will help to avoid tests, treatments or procedures that are unlikely to be of benefit.
The link below takes you to a Choosing Wisely UK webpage dedicated to resources on shared decision making. These include:
- Leaflet for patients to help them make the right choices for them at their healthcare appointment using the BRAN questions.
- Poster to be displayed to encourage the patients to ask the BRAN questions
- Guidance on professional standards and ethics for doctors
- e-learning and video resources for clinicians
- Leaflet for healthcare professionals to understand shared decision making.