This US White Paper from the Institute of Healthcare Improvement shares the experience of senior leaders who have decided to address patient safety and quality as a strategic imperative within their organisations. It presents what can be done to make the dramatic changes that are necessary to ensure that patients are not harmed by the very care systems they trust will heal them.
This paper presents eight steps that are recommended for leaders to follow to achieve patient safety and high reliability in their organisations.
- Step One: Address strategic priorities, culture and infrastructure
- Step Two: Engage key stakeholders
- Step Three: Communicate and build awareness
- Step Four: Establish, oversee and communicate system-level aims
- Step Five: Track/measure performance over time, strengthen analysis
- Step Six: Support staff and patients/families impacted by medical errors
- Step Seven: Align system-wide activities and incentives
- Step Eight: Redesign systems and improve reliability