NHS England have developed a review tool to support NHS organisations in reducing inequalities in patient safety.
NHS England asks all organisations to undertake this review and:
1 Respond back to NHSE in relation to:
- Communication barriers.
- Reduced patient engagement (activation) in their care.
- Workforce’s conscious & unconscious biases.
- Biases that are embedded across the system.
- Transitions of care.
- Inaccessibility of care (including digital exclusion, and geographical isolation).
- Limited insights/data.
2 Adapt their existing Equalities Impact Assessment to reflect this new tool.
3 What specific next actions are you taking as a team that can publish as part of the patient safety health inequalities roadmap? E.g,
- Adapting existing Equalities Impact Assessment (EQIA)/Project/programme plan.
- Creating new SMART objectives/programmes of work/targets.
- Revisiting the data/evidence base relating to inequalities or updating your monitoring process.
- Revising/expanding the scope of ongoing stakeholder involvement.