This is the first National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) report into how sex, ethnicity, disability and age affect how the organisation awards health research funding. Using their new Equality and Data Reporting system, the NIHR has been able to collect data on equality diversity and inclusion (EDI) for the first time. The information in this report is a benchmark for further reporting and will form the basis of the NIHR's new EDI strategy.
The report suggests the following actions:
- Improving the inclusivity and equality in our application process
- Changing the award nomination process for NIHR Research Professorships to increase the number of nominations as long as one nominee is from an ethnic minority group
- Making funding calls and their promotion more accessible and improving how we reach underrepresented groups
- Introducing new policies and interventions to improve inclusion
- Establishing new coaching and mentoring schemes
- Setting diversity targets for selection committees.