SLIPPS (Shared LearnIng from Practice to improve Patient Safety) is a 3 year Erasmus+ funded Patient Safety education project.
The project will:
- draw on the real experiences of health/social care students in practice placements
- utilise these experiences as the basis for a range of educational resources
- set up an international patient safety education network
- build an international open access virtual learning centre for international, multi-professional learning about patient safety
Who is involved?
- 7 Higher Education institutions
- 5 Health and/or social care providers
- 5 European countries (UK, Finland, Spain, Italy and Norway)
SLIPPS is responding to the challenge to improve European patient safety competence and education. Errors, mishaps and misunderstandings are common and around 1 in 10 patients suffer avoidable harm (WHO 2014). The majority of adverse care episodes and near misses are preventable (Vlayen et al 2012) and such incidents impact upon patients, their families, health care organisations, staff and students.