7 years ago I had catastrophic complications following a hysterectomy. I’m not saying it was negligence but the damage is permanent , life changing and getting worse. I have an abdominal fistula and 3 stoma bags. It’s a very very long story. The psychological damage has been almost as bad as the physical. Had I know then what I know now I would have complained and ‘made a fuss’, but I did nothing partly because my life was blown apart and I spent 6 months in hospital being vein fed facing the possibility of never eating or drinking again.
what traumatises mean to this day is the absolute lack of guidance and support. I had my surgery as a private patient because I was a carer to my brain damaged mother, I needed the op out of the way. There was no enquiry, or explanation despite having a perforated bowel, enterocuranous fistula, respiratory failure, sepsis - I could go on. Yet nothing was ever explained and now I’m out of time. No one but no wants to help, I’ve tried really hard but all I get is sorry but too late. How can this be right and has anyone any suggestions how I can get answers please . It just doesn’t sound right .
Registered address:
Patient Safety Learning, China Works SB203, 100 Black Prince Road Vauxhall, London, SE1 7SJ
Important Information
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.
Hi all,
7 years ago I had catastrophic complications following a hysterectomy. I’m not saying it was negligence but the damage is permanent , life changing and getting worse. I have an abdominal fistula and 3 stoma bags. It’s a very very long story. The psychological damage has been almost as bad as the physical. Had I know then what I know now I would have complained and ‘made a fuss’, but I did nothing partly because my life was blown apart and I spent 6 months in hospital being vein fed facing the possibility of never eating or drinking again.
what traumatises mean to this day is the absolute lack of guidance and support. I had my surgery as a private patient because I was a carer to my brain damaged mother, I needed the op out of the way. There was no enquiry, or explanation despite having a perforated bowel, enterocuranous fistula, respiratory failure, sepsis - I could go on. Yet nothing was ever explained and now I’m out of time. No one but no wants to help, I’ve tried really hard but all I get is sorry but too late. How can this be right and has anyone any suggestions how I can get answers please . It just doesn’t sound right .