I think many of us in the industry are still wondering about access to data and who should have it. NHS Digital do a great job of protecting access to health records and as one of the companies that has earned the rigth to access the national records, I can say it is a very rigorous process to maintain that privilege.
More broadly we are seeing companies get in trouble for using data in the wrong way from individual hospitals, non-anonymised records being shipped (by mistake) to a company and other things that citizens in some countries (I'm looking at friends in Sweden) would find unacceptable.
So who owns your data? Are you happy for it to be sold or just passed on to companies, or do you want the opposite end of the spectrum where you have control over it and sharing beyond your direct health providers requires your consent (and maybe.. whisper it quietly.. payment).
There is no one right answer but I'm fascinated by how we deal with data and a swing the door open policy and let favoured companies get access to it willy nilly doesn't seem like the smartest idea. But maybe I'm wrong...
Registered address:
Patient Safety Learning, China Works SB203, 100 Black Prince Road Vauxhall, London, SE1 7SJ
Important Information
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.
I think many of us in the industry are still wondering about access to data and who should have it. NHS Digital do a great job of protecting access to health records and as one of the companies that has earned the rigth to access the national records, I can say it is a very rigorous process to maintain that privilege.
More broadly we are seeing companies get in trouble for using data in the wrong way from individual hospitals, non-anonymised records being shipped (by mistake) to a company and other things that citizens in some countries (I'm looking at friends in Sweden) would find unacceptable.
So who owns your data? Are you happy for it to be sold or just passed on to companies, or do you want the opposite end of the spectrum where you have control over it and sharing beyond your direct health providers requires your consent (and maybe.. whisper it quietly.. payment).
There is no one right answer but I'm fascinated by how we deal with data and a swing the door open policy and let favoured companies get access to it willy nilly doesn't seem like the smartest idea. But maybe I'm wrong...