Three former health secretaries have called on the government to urgently pay compensation to victims of the contaminated blood scandal.
The chairman of the public inquiry into the scandal, Sir Brian Langstaff, has recommended that each victim should receive a provisional sum of £100,000.
One woman who developed hepatitis C from infected blood told the BBC the news was "incredibly significant".
The government has said it will urgently consider any recommendations.
Former health secretaries Andy Burnham, Jeremy Hunt and Matt Hancock told the BBC it was important to act quickly because the life expectancy of many victims had been shortened by infections they had contracted.
A lawyer representing about 15,000 claimants also argued that victims should receive compensation "immediately". Des Collins said payment must be made within "days or weeks", and he would step up pressure from Monday.
Read full story
Source: BBC News, 31 August 2022