While COVID-19 has worsened patient waiting times across the NHS, patients with pelvic disorders have long been an under-served population experiencing unacceptable delays in care. Pelvic floor disorders are varied and can be complex, but treatment is available. However, patients, particularly those requiring surgery, can wait years from presentation before receiving the treatment they need.
The report from the Pelvic Floor Society proposes changes in six key areas:
- Empowering and educating patients and beyond.
- Making use of technology.
- Integrating expertise.
- Looking again at surgical procedures.
- Making the most of our teams.
- Considering collaborations.
Each area is addressed with its own chapter in the report.