‘Compassionate communication, meaningful engagement’ is a handbook for all NHS staff which aims to improve collaboration with patients, their families and carers following a patient safety event.
Developed with NHS Trusts across England in partnership with Making Families Count, the guide includes principles of compassionate engagement, roles and responsibilities of healthcare professionals, and information about the processes following an incident. It also brings together a range of signposting information and resources for families and staff.
- Patient Safety Incident Response Framework
- Principles of compassionate engagement
- Duty of Candour
- Confidentiality and information sharing
- Explaining the family engagement lead role
- Accessible information standard
- Just Culture
- Safeguarding: Our responsibilities
- Medical examiners
- Bereavement and support agencies