NHS England has launched this framework on the expectations of NHS line managers in relation to people management. The report contains a recommendation to create a clear view on the expectations of line managers in the service in relation to people management and the implications for provision of people services.
The framework will:
- explain the role of the manager in relation to people management
- contribute to the provision of safe and effective care for all our patients across the NHS
- contribute to fostering an inclusive and positive culture in the NHS
- contribute to improving the health, wellbeing, and morale of people
- contribute to a reduction in sickness absence and turnover rates, and an improvement in attendance, supporting retention of the workforce;
- enable managers to support their colleagues, and to seek support from HR & OD colleagues for the more complex interventions.
It sets out a clear roadmap to improving how people are managed in the NHS will have a ripple effect on recruiting, retaining and sustaining our people, and helping the NHS become a true employer of choice for our current and future workforce.