This is a joint letter from The Health Foundation, The King's Fund and the Nuffield Trust to the Health and Social Care Select Committee for the evidence session on delivering core NHS and care services during the pandemic and beyond.
The letter outlines five important challenges that will need to be addressed by leaders in government and the health and care system:
- How and when will appropriate infection prevention and control measures be available for all settings delivering care, and what impact will these have on capacity to reopen?
- How will the system understand the full extent of unmet need?
- How will the public’s fear of using NHS and social care services be reduced?
- What is the strategy for looking after and growing the workforce?
- Can the system improve as it recovers?