Skip to content

Have you been affected by a delayed, incorrect or missed diagnosis?

Have you or someone you know been affected by a:

  • delayed diagnosis
  • incorrect diagnosis
  • missed diagnosis?

Errors can happen at every stage of the diagnostic process and can happen in all healthcare settings. In some circumstances the impact is life-changing.

If you have insights to share around diagnostic error and the impact on patient safety, please comment below (sign up first here, for free). Or you can contact us directly at [email protected]. 

This post has been published as part of our World Patient Safety Day activity, with the 2024 theme of Improving diagnosis for patient safety.

#WPSD, #WorldPatientSafetyDay, World Patient Safety Day 2024

Featured Replies

A few years ago I was undergoing tests for coeliac disease. I was sent by my GP for an endoscopy with an independent provider. A couple of weeks after the procedure, I called my GP surgery to see if they had the results - the receptionist told me they had, and that they said the results were normal. To celebrate I went and enjoyed a blow-out wheaty weekend! 

But on the Monday morning I received a letter in the post that said the biopsy was positive for coeliac disease and I should follow a gluten free diet. I raised this with the GP, and they were apologetic, but said the results come in two stages - the letter the receptionist had seen referred only to visible signs of issues relating to other conditions, not the coeliac biopsy.

I didn't came to any major harm as a result of being given the wrong diagnosis, but I do wonder what would have happened if I hadn't received the second letter myself.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Registered address: Patient Safety Learning, China Works SB203, 100 Black Prince Road Vauxhall, London, SE1 7SJ

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.