Skip to content

Do you have a 'good catch' reporting system?

"One of the best examples I saw involved a case in which a worker was about to move a vehicle and trailer. The keys were in the ignition, but before starting the vehicle, he decided to perform a walkaround and discovered a mechanic was working underneath the trailer. Together, they agreed to take the keys out of the ignition and established a tagging system to ensure nobody else would inadvertently move the equipment while it was being worked on."[1]

According to this article by Safety Management Group, just like near-miss reporting, a formal good catch program promotes reporting and learning while providing important metrics that can be tracked and trended over time. It turns an organisation's safety philosophy into a clear reality.

Do you use a 'good catch' reporting system in your health and social care setting? Has it made a difference to safety culture or behaviour? How easy was it to implement? Do you recognise and/or celebrate staff for reporting incidents? 

Or perhaps this is something you'd like to implement. What would you like to ask others who have tried it? 

Share your experiences and questions in the comments below. You'll need to register for free first. 

Related reading:

 

[1] SMB. Using good catches to increase worker ownership of safety. Accessed online 9/08/23. 

Featured Replies

I have recently introduced our integrated quality report that pulls together all quality streams from all services (Primary Care) I always want to share positive feedback and what has worked well. In the integrated quality report I have introduced sections where we celebrate good practice. 

Morning

Happy to share what I have introduced. I will pull something together and share with you.

Ian 😀

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

Registered address: Patient Safety Learning, China Works SB203, 100 Black Prince Road Vauxhall, London, SE1 7SJ

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.