I’m a 51-year-old childless woman, who was referred for an outpatient hysteroscopy in Chase Farm Hospital in London after some bleeding.
Online, including on this forum, I read some horrendous stories, which made me very anxious for the procedure. However, I had a positive experience and want to share it in the hope it will help others.
The consultant explained the procedure very well. I felt listened to and cared for by him and the two nurses. He explained that the procedure could be painful but doesn’t have to be. This doesn’t necessarily mean that some patients have a higher pain threshold, but that some patients’ cervix is more sensitive than others.
The consultant asked for consent before and during the hysteroscopy. He offered local anaesthesia but explained that injecting the anaesthesia could be more painful than the procedure and that he would need to use a speculum.
I could well tolerate the hysteroscopy without anaesthesia. In fact, I found my recent smear test more painful than the hysteroscopy. The consultant took a biopsy, which I hardly felt. Other than some mild cramps like period pain and some very light bleeding, I felt completely fine afterwards.
Registered address:
Patient Safety Learning, China Works SB203, 100 Black Prince Road Vauxhall, London, SE1 7SJ
Important Information
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.
I’m a 51-year-old childless woman, who was referred for an outpatient hysteroscopy in Chase Farm Hospital in London after some bleeding.
Online, including on this forum, I read some horrendous stories, which made me very anxious for the procedure. However, I had a positive experience and want to share it in the hope it will help others.
The consultant explained the procedure very well. I felt listened to and cared for by him and the two nurses. He explained that the procedure could be painful but doesn’t have to be. This doesn’t necessarily mean that some patients have a higher pain threshold, but that some patients’ cervix is more sensitive than others.
The consultant asked for consent before and during the hysteroscopy. He offered local anaesthesia but explained that injecting the anaesthesia could be more painful than the procedure and that he would need to use a speculum.
I could well tolerate the hysteroscopy without anaesthesia. In fact, I found my recent smear test more painful than the hysteroscopy. The consultant took a biopsy, which I hardly felt. Other than some mild cramps like period pain and some very light bleeding, I felt completely fine afterwards.