Patients with dementia or inattention (e.g. following stroke) can struggle to remember to use a walking aid prescribed by physiotherapists to enable safe mobility. This can result in increased falls, as patients mobilise without their aids. A simple solution is to provide a red walking aid; the colour contrasts with the surroundings and draws the patient’s attention to the aid, prompting them to use it for mobilising.
There are no articles on this, possibly as it is hard to prove a causal link between red frames and reduced falls? I am looking for evidence (subjective or objective) for the use of red walking aids to increase patient's independent use of aid, and reduce falls in patients with dementia. I hope to promote the prescription of these within my trust, wherein they are currently classed as a special order, but I also want to spread the word as none of my colleagues had heard of them! Many thanks, Susanna
Registered address:
Patient Safety Learning, China Works SB203, 100 Black Prince Road Vauxhall, London, SE1 7SJ
Important Information
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.
Hello!
Patients with dementia or inattention (e.g. following stroke) can struggle to remember to use a walking aid prescribed by physiotherapists to enable safe mobility. This can result in increased falls, as patients mobilise without their aids. A simple solution is to provide a red walking aid; the colour contrasts with the surroundings and draws the patient’s attention to the aid, prompting them to use it for mobilising.
There are no articles on this, possibly as it is hard to prove a causal link between red frames and reduced falls? I am looking for evidence (subjective or objective) for the use of red walking aids to increase patient's independent use of aid, and reduce falls in patients with dementia. I hope to promote the prescription of these within my trust, wherein they are currently classed as a special order, but I also want to spread the word as none of my colleagues had heard of them! Many thanks, Susanna