Skip to content

Pharmacological thromboprophylaxis the night prior to day case surgery or colorectal surgery in cancer patients

I have discovered that one of our breast surgeons and some of our colorectal surgeons are giving prescriptions to the day case breast cancer patients and colorectal cancer surgery patients to have thromboprophylaxis enoxaparin the night prior to being admitted for theatre  

I'm sure that this isn't in NG89 and I was wondering if any of your surgeons do this and have any evidence to support this practice 

Featured Replies

I haven't heard of this practice at King's Alex, also not aware of any evidence for this.

 

They give a stat dose to lots of breast/ plastic patients here but this is post-op not pre (and equally baffling to me).

  • 9 months later...

We, I mean a great F2,  is looking into this as we have had an incident where the LMWH was held preop and the patient had an iliofemoral DVT.

There is quite a b it of data showing that LMWH can be given same day pre surgery and certainly within 12 hours - time frame seems to be 2-24 hours!!

I asked co-pilot for some help - I've also asked for references - and have updated this attachement 

PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS AI GENERATED - but some good food for thought and a starter for 10

Katie has done a great formal literature search and when she has finished - she is happy to share - and then we can write some advice in our VTE prevention policy!!

 

co-pilot search for preop LMWH.pdf

Create an account or sign in to comment

Registered address: Patient Safety Learning, China Works SB203, 100 Black Prince Road Vauxhall, London, SE1 7SJ

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.