Skip to content

Covid 19 and thromboprophylaxis policies

We are updating out thromboprophylaxis policy at NGH:

We still have a link to COVID-19 thromboprophylaxis, although we don’t routinely do this in practice. The NICE interim rapid guidance for thromboprophylaxis in COVID-19 is still referenced in the NICE thromboprophylaxis policy and so we can’t be seen to be deviating from national policy. Can I ask what the exemplar centres are doing about COVID-19 so we can decide if we should keep this in our policy?

Featured Replies

Hi Tinaa

I have to be honest and say that I've just found a flaw in our policy - we do not mention COVID at all!!

Now I need to review ours too  - thanks 🙄

Hi Tinaa, we reverted back to standard thromboprophylaxis some time ago at King's.

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Anyone using Fondaparinux ?

Oh yes - we have alot of patients on it at GSTT - some APS patients and others who have struggled or clotted on other anticoagulation for thromboprophylaxis.  Practice has evolved over the past couple of years and we now check anti-Xa levels at least annually.  Patients get on very well with it.  

 

Not specifically for Covid patients but we are seeing an increase in use of fonda for thromboprophylaxis and treatment of VTE. I'm not confident that the decision to prescribe instead of LMWH is a particularly well-informed one, either on the part of patients or medics/ nurses/ midwives. 

We have one patient on it long-term for VTE, I remember we needed to do an IFR for the CCG (as was) to agree to pay for it.

And in terms of covid guideline, ours still says what the NICE guideline says, in practice I think the majority get standard prophylaxis, not extended past hospitalisation.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Registered address: Patient Safety Learning, China Works SB203, 100 Black Prince Road Vauxhall, London, SE1 7SJ

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.