The purpose of this Royal College of Nursing (RCN) document is to provide standards and sample assessment tools for training in genital examination in women for registered nurses working in sexual and reproductive health settings, and related health and social care settings.
It is envisaged that this document could be used by registered health care professionals who would require training in genital examination in order, for example, to undertake the following procedures:
- cervical sampling including liquid based cytology and colposcopy
- taking swabs as part of a sexual health examination
- inserting, checking or removing intrauterine devices and IUS
- vaginal ultrasound
- nurses working within early pregnancy and acute gynaecology settings
- and as part of any extended role in history taking and examination for the assessment of symptomatic women.