Shared decision making describes the way in which patients and their healthcare providers work together to decide treatment, management or self-management support goals. It includes sharing information about a patient’s options and preferred outcomes. The goal is for patient and professional to agree treatment, or no treatment.
This webinar hosted by The Patients' Association discusses what makes shared decision making effective, barriers for staff and patients and research on ways to improve the practice.
The webinar panel:
- Rachel Power (chair) - Chief Executive, Patients Association
- Ruby Bhatti OBE – Patient/Carer, Patients Association member
- Hameed Khan - Patient/carer, Patients Association member
- Alexandra Freeman - Executive Director, Winton Centre for Risk and Evidence Communication
- Jonathan Berry - Personalised Care Group, NHS England & Improvement
- Victoria Thomas - Head of Public Involvement, NICE
You can also view the presentation slides from the webinar