A ‘critical incident' is one that challenges your own assumptions or makes you think differently’. They provide the following helpful prompts to guide reflection on critical incidents. Here is a simple example of critical incident reflection produced by the University of Birmingham.
Key learning points
- What happened, where and when? Give a brief history of the incident.
- What is it that made the incident ‘critical’?
- What were your immediate thoughts and responses?
- What are your thoughts now? What has changed/developed your thinking?
- What have you learned about (your) practice from this?
- How might your practice change and develop as a result of this analysis and learning?