The Department of Defence (DoD) Patient Safety Program's Resource Guide was developed to engage, educate and equip readers with products, services, tools and solutions to help ensure the safe delivery of health care in the Military Health System. This comprehensive 18-page guide includes:
- Training and enrollment information for patient safety champions and facilities interested in teamwork using the
- Team Strategies and Tools to Enhance Performance and Patient Safety (TeamSTEPPS) is an evidence-based teamwork system designed to improve the quality, safety and efficiency of healthcare. TeamSTEPPS consists of a collection of instructions, materials and tools to help drive a successful teamwork initiative from the initial planning to implementation through to sustainment. The system is designed to improve patient safety using a three-phase approach: Phase I Assessment: Facility determines organisational readiness; Phase II Planning, Training & Implementation: Facility “decides what to do” and “makes it happen;” and Phase III Sustainment: Facility spreads the improvements in teamwork performance, clinical processes and outcomes resulting from the TeamSTEPPS initiative.TeamSTEPPS method.
- Learning opportunities for commanders, leaders, providers and patients.
- Information about the measurement and reporting of events that could cause harm to patients and how to apply changes through documented studies.
- Online DoD PSP and partner resources and publications.
- An overview of continuing education credit-eligible learning opportunities offered by the DoD PSP.
The guide also provides helpful links and contact information for readers interested in learning more about the highlighted resources. The majority of DoD PSP tools and resources are available to anyone providing care in the Military Health Service. These evidence-based resources offer opportunities to make any heath care facility safer and more open to discussions to build a culture of safety.