This is the recording of a webinar hosted by The Patients' Association, looking at how virtual wards work and patients' experiences of virtual wards. A panel answered questions about who was suitable for care on a virtual ward, how they are staffed and what happens if you're not tech-savvy.
The panel was:
- Jono Broad, a patient leader in the southwest of England. He is a Senior Manager for Personalised Care, NHS England South West, works on patient experience, safety and quality.
- Emma Matthews, Regional Community Development Lead NHS England South West, Consultant Practitioner Older People and Frailty.
- Dr Shelagh O’Riordan, Consultant Community Geriatrician at Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust and Professional Adviser to the virtual ward team at NHS England. She is also Clinical Director for Frailty in East Kent and runs a large frailty virtual ward.
- Dr Crystal Oldman CBE, Chief Executive, The Queen's Nursing Institute. Crystal qualified as a nurse at University College Hospital, London. In 2017, Crystal was awarded a CBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List for services to community nursing and her leadership of the QNI. Crystal is an Honorary Professor at London South Bank University.
- Patients Association member, Alan Bellinger, who represents patients on the Hospital at Home programme in Hertfordshire, and is a patient representative on the Eastern Academic Health Science Network Review of Remote Monitoring.