In August 2019, the government announced a £250 million investment in Artificial Intelligence (AI) applications for health and care through the creation of the NHS AI Lab. The hope is that over time this investment will enable health and care providers to benefit from the very best data-driven technology and help us achieve our goals for technology use in the NHS and in the care system.
This report from NHS X provides a cohesive overview of the current state of play of data-driven technologies within the health and care system. It makes clear where in the system AI technologies can be utilised and the policy work that is, and will need to be done, to ensure this utilisation is done in a safe, effective and ethically acceptable manner.
This report covers research that has been conducted by NHSX and a great number of partners across the digital health ecosystem into:
- What AI is and where it's being used.
- How to govern AI.
- How to protect patient safety.
- How to support the workforce.
- How to encourage adoption and spread.
- The results of this research ultimately lead us to the conclusion that the creation of the Lab will be essential if we are to capitalise on the opportunities identified, whilst mitigating the risks.