Painful hysteroscopy

Hi Goldie Locks

Its so good to hear you had such wonderful, compassionate care and all went well for you.  Also good to know where the good gynae teams are! Gold Star to them!  I am a member of the Campaign Against Painful Hysteroscopy which wouldn't be needed if all hospitals were like yours.  We do stress that 2 out of 3 women will have no pain or mild to moderate pain.  Our intention isn't to frighten people  but to remind hospitals to follow the RCOG guidance of offering and providing general anaesthetic from the outset if that's what the woman wants, and stopping the moment the patient is in pain.  As you can tell from the previous posts here, that doesn't always happen.

Thanks for posting a good experience!

Best wishes

E

2 reactions so far

I also had a dreadful experience at the Royal Surrey in January 2022.  I'm not sure if this thread is still active but I'm very interested to hear about the adjournment debate from the House of Commons that same month on the topic of painful hysteroscopy experiences (tabled by Lyn Brown MP).  I can't believe the procedure is allowed without general anaesthetic.  I would like to know how best to make a formal complaint so if anyone is active on this please do let me know.  thanks  

0 reactions so far

Hello Cathryn, 

Sorry to hear you had a a bad experience last month. It not good enough is it? If you Google Hysteroscopy on Hansard all Lyn Brown's debate speeches will come up in date order.  Regarding making a complaint, if you would like to join the Campaign Against Painful Hysteroscopy's private group, we have several members who have made  complaints and could give some pointers on this. If you'd like to join please send me, Elaine Falkner a Facebook friend request, and I can invite you to join the closed hysteroscopy group.

Best wishes 

Elaine 

0 reactions so far

I had a post menopausal bleed several weeks ago and was given an appointment for an ultrasound scan and/ or hysteroscopy. I deliberately only read the NHS information on hysteroscopy rather than personal experiences at that point, since I was nervous enough about the possibility of having the procedure. 
On the day, I had the scan and then saw the consultant who advised that a hysteroscopy would be required for further investigation. I’m not good with any sort of internal examination and I expressed how anxious I was. I also asked what my options were, because I had read about being given a type of sedative beforehand, so was thinking of that really. My consultant advised that I had 3 options: have the procedure there and then and therefore get it over with, come back at a later date, or have it done under general anaesthetic. I opted for the latter and it’s only since doing a lot more reading and coming across sites like this, that I realise how ‘fortunate’ I was to be offered that option.
Some of the experiences that I’ve read about are truly shocking. I know that it’s a different experience for everyone, but it should surely be the norm to be offered a choice as to how you prefer to have the procedure done given the high percentage of women for whom it’s painful. I’m grateful to Wrightington, Wigan & Leigh Hospital trust for giving me that option.

1 reactions so far

Thanks Cake, very pleased too that you were offered those options, exactly what we are looking for everyone. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and wishing you well for the procedure. 

I don’t know if you’d like to give the Trust feedback but Care Opinion are a fabulous service and website if you’d like to do so. Always great to recognise good quality and responsive care. 

Best wishes

Helen 

0 reactions so far

Hi Cake

So, so pleased to hear you've had a textbook experience of hysteroscopy. It's good to hear that your hospital is following the RCOG guidelines to the letter.  Its shocking how many aren't doing this and persuading women to go with outpatient procedures by telling them they'll have to wait a long time for other options, or worse not even telling them there are alternatives.  The Campaign Against Painful Hysteroscopy is working with RCOG endeavouring to bring about change so all women are treated as they should be, and not as NHS money and the outdated ideas of gynaecologists regarding pain in hysteroscopy are dictating. You can find CAPH on twitter @HysteroscopyA. Please support if you can. 

Hope the procedure has good outcomes for you. 

All the best,

Ellie 

1 reactions so far

I think my experience of having a hysteroscopy must fall in the 'average' category. Not traumatic, not easy. Pretty painful for 45 mins, then not too bad:

https://coronavirusdiaries.co.uk/2022/03/16/what-is-it-like-to-have-a-hysteroscopy

1 reactions so far

I am so glad I have found this page. I live in Cork, Ireland and today I have had an ultrasound to investigate post menopausal bleeding I had 3 weeks ago. It was decided today that the ultrasound did not provide sufficient information and that a hysteroscopy was required. They mentioned fibroids and a polyp. I overheard the conversation and questioned it, but was advised that the hysteroscopy would provide more Information. Further, I was advised that most women were able to tolerate the procedure well in an Outpatient setting, that only about 10% needed to have it done under GA. Initially I felt reassured, but I might now request to have it done under GA as I suffer from Vaginal Atrophy etc which is treated with Vagifem, a local Estrogen tablet. But I am so scared now of this procedure. The problem are the long waiting lists here. I am afraid of the long waiting period. The Outpatient hysteroscopy can be carried out in 2 weeks. They are due to contact me with an appointment tomorrow morning...I am undecided what to do, but I think it is best to wait to have it done in a hospital setting judging by accounts from women here. I sincerely hope that anybody who has suffered trauma through this will recover fully as this sounds a barbaric procedure both physically and mentally..

2 reactions so far

As part of my recurrent miscarriage tests, I was invited for an operative hysteroscopy as I had a small polyp (2mm) at Ealing Hospital.

The letter I received from the NHS stated that I may feel some discomfort similar to a menstrual period cramp and that I should take two tablets of paracetamol and one tablet of ibuprofen. I wasn't offered any anaesthetic and the procedure was so painful that I felt like I was being raped.

Straight after the procedure, I was asked to leave the room even though I could barely stand.

It had no impact on my recurrent miscarriages but it affected my mental wellbeing, and I am mentally still recovering from it (a year after the procedure).

1 reactions so far

I had a hysteroscopy on Wednesday afternoon, it was excruciating, had I known previous as to how painful it would be I'd never have ahead. Today 2 days later I'm getting horrendous pain in my hips and down my legs, it looks as though the procedure wasn't a success and I may need it done again, I've already spoken with my G.P and stated the only way that will happen is if I get a general anaesthetic. 

0 reactions so far

So sorry to hear this. Unfortunately you are one of many of us who have been subjected to “trial by hysteroscopy”.

1 reactions so far
On 30/04/2022 at 14:04, A_P said:

As part of my recurrent miscarriage tests, I was invited for an operative hysteroscopy as I had a small polyp (2mm) at Ealing Hospital.

The letter I received from the NHS stated that I may feel some discomfort similar to a menstrual period cramp and that I should take two tablets of paracetamol and one tablet of ibuprofen. I wasn't offered any anaesthetic and the procedure was so painful that I felt like I was being raped.

Straight after the procedure, I was asked to leave the room even though I could barely stand.

It had no impact on my recurrent miscarriages but it affected my mental wellbeing, and I am mentally still recovering from it (a year after the procedure).

So sorry to hear this A_P.  It's appalling how women are treated with this procedure without adequate or any anaesthetic.  Unfortunately you are not the only one to be left with issues requiring counselling or other therapy for PTSD.  I hope you can recover from this ordeal very soon.   The Campaign Against Painful Hysteroscopy has an private group where we can discuss our experiences and support each other.  If you would like to join please send a facebook request to Elaine Falkner (I'm the one holding the black and white cat) and I can then invite you to join the group.  It would be helpful if you could message me your name as well if you would like to join us.

Best wishes

E

1 reactions so far
On 06/05/2022 at 20:01, Missy said:

I had a hysteroscopy on Wednesday afternoon, it was excruciating, had I known previous as to how painful it would be I'd never have ahead. Today 2 days later I'm getting horrendous pain in my hips and down my legs, it looks as though the procedure wasn't a success and I may need it done again, I've already spoken with my G.P and stated the only way that will happen is if I get a general anaesthetic. 

Missy, this is awful - so sorry to hear this.  Very pleased to hear you are talking to your GP.  Have you told them about the pain you are in?  There are a lot of women who have undergone this procedure and had it fail because of pain, and have then gone on to have the procedure under GA.  This should be an option for you as it is in the RCOG and BSGE guidelines. The Campaign Against Painful Hysteroscopy has a private group where we can discuss our experiences and support each other.  If you would like to join please send a facebook request to Elaine Falkner (I'm the one holding the black and white cat) and I can then invite you to join the group. 

Best wishes - I hope the next stage is better for you. xx

1 reactions so far
On 25/04/2022 at 23:46, Martina said:

I am so glad I have found this page. I live in Cork, Ireland and today I have had an ultrasound to investigate post menopausal bleeding I had 3 weeks ago. It was decided today that the ultrasound did not provide sufficient information and that a hysteroscopy was required. They mentioned fibroids and a polyp. I overheard the conversation and questioned it, but was advised that the hysteroscopy would provide more Information. Further, I was advised that most women were able to tolerate the procedure well in an Outpatient setting, that only about 10% needed to have it done under GA. Initially I felt reassured, but I might now request to have it done under GA as I suffer from Vaginal Atrophy etc which is treated with Vagifem, a local Estrogen tablet. But I am so scared now of this procedure. The problem are the long waiting lists here. I am afraid of the long waiting period. The Outpatient hysteroscopy can be carried out in 2 weeks. They are due to contact me with an appointment tomorrow morning...I am undecided what to do, but I think it is best to wait to have it done in a hospital setting judging by accounts from women here. I sincerely hope that anybody who has suffered trauma through this will recover fully as this sounds a barbaric procedure both physically and mentally..

Hi Martina

Bit late in the day to respond but I've only just seen your post, I hope all is progressing well for you and you don't have to wait too long if you decide to have the procedure under GA.  

Very best wishes, E x

1 reactions so far

Thank you very much Elliemay for your kind words. I am so sorry to learn about the pain and trauma women are experiencing as a result of this procedure and sincerely wish Missy and A_P the very best with your recovery. My GP said that years ago, the procedure was always carried out under GA, just like a D&C, but in order to reduce waiting times to go to theatre for a GA, they are now offering it as an Outpatient. But you still have the choice here in Ireland, but you may be waiting...  I told her that this should not be done as an Outpatient as far too many women experience pain and mental trauma. Thank you again for your support. I am currently waiting for the appointment...Sending warm wishes to everybody who went through a lot of pain. You are in my thoughts!

3 reactions so far

Prior to attending a hysteroscopy appointment, I looked up other patient experiences and read through the personal testimonies on this website.

I stopped reading after the third one, anxious about my coming procedure.

I telephoned the hospital to discuss pain relief and the level of discomfort and they reassured me that if at any point it became too painful they would stop.

With some trepidation I loaded up on painkillers, - paracetamol and codeine combined with ibuprofen and made sure I was not driving.

Hoping for the best but planning for the worst, I was relieved to find the procedure straightforward, a little uncomfortable, and almost pain-free.

The removal of the polyps gave a momentary stab of pain but really very little. To have had a general anaesthetic would have been more problematic, time consuming, and no doubt higher risk.

Whilst I do understand the need to convey bad experiences, it is important to let people know that for many women this may not be a particularly traumatic experience.

Creating the expectation of extreme discomfort and pain may be counter-productive as the stress and anxiety prior to the procedure will almost certainly contribute to the discomfort experienced.

Some hours after, and back at home, I I feel back to normal and I’m experiencing no discomfort or pain.

0 reactions so far

I've read many comments and have been through the procedure myself and I am surprised to read your comment. 

If you don't mind me asking, which hospital are we talking about?

When I begged my doctor to stop because od the immense pain, she disregarded my comments and carried on...

I had a polyp removed too and it took me weeks to recover physically (not even talking about mentally). Because of this physical aspect, I am sorry but I find your experience hard to believe.

0 reactions so far

Also, how can you know that "to have had a general anaesthetic would have been more problematic, time consuming, and no doubt higher risk."? 

I believe that women should not be lied to but given a choice of a local or general or no anaesthetic. It should be up to us to decide!

1 reactions so far
On 11/05/2022 at 14:11, Guest Anon said:

Prior to attending a hysteroscopy appointment, I looked up other patient experiences and read through the personal testimonies on this website.

I stopped reading after the third one, anxious about my coming procedure.

I telephoned the hospital to discuss pain relief and the level of discomfort and they reassured me that if at any point it became too painful they would stop.

With some trepidation I loaded up on painkillers, - paracetamol and codeine combined with ibuprofen and made sure I was not driving.

Hoping for the best but planning for the worst, I was relieved to find the procedure straightforward, a little uncomfortable, and almost pain-free.

The removal of the polyps gave a momentary stab of pain but really very little. To have had a general anaesthetic would have been more problematic, time consuming, and no doubt higher risk.

Whilst I do understand the need to convey bad experiences, it is important to let people know that for many women this may not be a particularly traumatic experience.

Creating the expectation of extreme discomfort and pain may be counter-productive as the stress and anxiety prior to the procedure will almost certainly contribute to the discomfort experienced.

Some hours after, and back at home, I I feel back to normal and I’m experiencing no discomfort or pain.

It's good to hear that you had a positive experience and you're recovering well. Many women have no pain or mild to moderate pain.  However it's important hospitals follow the RCOG guidance and do offer general anaesthetic from the outset if that's what the woman wants, and stop the moment the patient is in pain. Women should be given all the information and options so they can make an informed choice. Unfortunately this isn't always the case.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

1 reactions so far

I am so pleased for you to have had a positive experience and I am pleased you were told the doctor would stop if you were in too much pain. 

I didn’t research hysteroscopy or polyp removal before I went for mine, I wasn’t expecting serious pain and I definitely wasn’t anxious. I was expecting period pain at worst but what I experienced was excruciating, definitely  physical and very, very real. 

It’s great to read positive experiences but a portion of women don’t have have the experience and we must be careful not to belittle them and what they (we) go through. 

Lastly, if I ever have to have the procedure again, it will have to be under general anaesthetic. It was so invasive, painful and traumatic, there is no way I could go through it in any other way.

0 reactions so far

Also, I told my doctor to stop. She did until the pain subsided then she started again. It was not explained to me that I had other options. That is wrong. I don’t feel I have informed concept because I didn’t have all the information. 

0 reactions so far
14 minutes ago, Guest SadieCD said:

Also, I told my doctor to stop. She did until the pain subsided then she started again. It was not explained to me that I had other options. That is wrong. I don’t feel I have informed concept because I didn’t have all the information. 

So sorry to hear you had this experience Sadie.  Hope you are ok now.

0 reactions so far

I fully agree with Guest SadieCD. It is all about choice as the procedure is different for every woman. Personally, I am a very anxious person anyway and after speaking to my GP and a nurse colleague, I made the decision to have it done under general anaesthetic. This is a personal choice. Both my GP and gynaecologist have been very supportive. But I am sure that some women have positive experiences which is also reassuring. But judging from reports from women here, there are far too many negative experiences with physical pain and trauma which should be listened to. I wish everybody well!

0 reactions so far