Emergency CPAP

We are looking into introducing a new device to deliver CPAP at ward level into our trust.

Currently we use NIPPY machines which can deliver some PEEP when in a selected mode, however the downfall to this is, it can only produce an oxygen concentration of around 50%. Often, the patient groups that require this intervention are on high oxygen requirements and so particularly in the early stages would benefit from a device that could deliver both.

I have previously worked with Pulmodyne 02-Max trio which allows up to 90% oxygen and PEEP up to 7.5cmH20. Majority of patients responded very well to this treatment.

I wondered whether any other trusts/ team have any other experiences/ devices that they may use and recommend?

@Danielle Haupt@Claire Cox@Emma Richardson@Mandy Odell@PatientSafetyLearning Team@Patient Safety Learning@Patient safety Hub@CCOT_Southend

0 reactions so far
Edited by Kirsty Wood

Hi @Kirsty Wood we use the trilogy, however we only use it for BiPAP.  It does do CPAP but we , as a Trust, have decided that we wont use CPAP as a therapy on the wards.  We might start it while we wait for an ITU bed, but not as a long term measure.  This machine is great as it is portable, has a good battery life and doesn't require the air port.

Patients bring in their own NIPPY from home if they require it, but only on their normal settings.

I hope that helps

claire

0 reactions so far